I came across this super cool project for Chinese New Year at arteascuola.com. Miriam shared some of the process and the end product was so cool! I wanted to share my step by step process here to use with my students as well as with you all! Once we get the final dragon complete, I will share more photos. Until then, please check out Miriam’s page here: Arteascuola
Im going to be honest, I’m doing this with first grade so I’m anxious to see the results of this color wheel. 🤷🏼♀️Let’s do this!!
It went so well!!! They were excited and everybody’s turned out great. Next, we will add the petals, symbols for scholarship, friendship, and sportsmanship (my school’s motto). We will then put them all together to create the dragon!
Fourth grade is making these snowy nighttime scenes using value and blending with paint. Before we started in on the real deal, we practiced first with color pencils then with paint. Sharing our steps here!
I’ll share the students’ work when we are finished!
Here’s some of the student work. They were still so creative with the limited use of only silhouettes.
Second graders are weaving and they love it! I found this excellent step by step tutorial over at ABC School Art.
Can’t wait to share our finished pieces!
Check out some of my students work!
I first came across these brightly colored handprints on Instagram. @summitartists posted her results and they were just so eye-catching, I had to try them!
My first graders loved the little video I found on YouTube about Andy Warhol and Pop Art. Click here to see!
We also used the neon tempera paints and I turned on our black lights while they painted the back ground. They were completely amazed.
The day we added the black handprints, I had a hand painting and printing table set up for four people. They took turns at that table and when they finished, they had some Lego centers, plus plus blocks centers, and a pop art color sheet option. Everyone remained engaged and worked cooperatively. I was super impressed to say the least.
Man, blogging has become so cumbersome and time-consuming compared to using Instagram to flash-blog (did i just make up a new phrase?!) about an art project or summer camp or the amazing things we find in Bullseye’s Playground at Target (because, let’s be real, it’s not the dollar spot anymore).
I feel I have gotten so behind this year on blogging but really, with moving to part time, I didn’t feel like I had as much to blog about. But then as I reflect on the last school year, I accomplished a ton of stuff with my kids.
Many of our projects were much more involved and in-depth than projects I was used to doing on a See-150-kids-a-day schedule. I really enjoyed this focused energy and the freedom to not rush. It’s always been more self-imposed in the art room, I think, but you definitely feel the pressure to crank out some masterpieces. The kids feel it too and often want to rush through and move to the next thing. I know I’m not alone in this.
But next school year, I do solemnly swear to blog more consistently instead of only sharing and flash-bogging (ha!) on IG. ✌🏻
Oh, and to catch you up on last year…
Summer Art Camp!
5th grade’s Thiebaud-inspired 2D pieces turned into 3D sculptures!
6th grader’s Blind-contour portraits ❤️
I got to go to DC with my 8th graders and see beautiful art!
My 5th graders rocked it with their Alma Woodsey Thomas paintings and we put them all together for an art show installation.
We sailed away for spring break…
We made Frida Kahlo memory boxes in our Dia de los Muertos after school class.
And so much more. …Next year!
My 6th graders have been working so hard on perfecting these two point perspective cities. When they were finished, they had to write a 6 word story to accompany their artwork. It was great to see some kids really flourish with the technical side of it.
When I went to my state’s art education conference this fall, I saw a really cool project idea at the United Art booth. It was bright, colorful, and a relief sculpture! You can find it here. They gave me the lesson plan for it and I have been working on the sample for my students. I’ve taken pictures of most of my steps so that I can share with my students when they are ready to make it. Feel free to use it. 🙂 I started with painting the background piece of cardboard (8×10″).
Then I drew out my main head shape, painted it white, and cut it out.
Glue some smaller pieces of cardboard to the back and then glue it down to your background.
Create a profile view of just the head – not the nose, eyes, etc.
I painted another piece of cardboard white and then drew out the rest of my main pieces – eyes, lips, nose, forehead. I also added cheeks, eyebrows, and lids. The more pieces you add, the more interesting it can be.
I used my scraps from cutting all my other pieces to create the hair and neck. Now it’s ready to paint!
I painted with tempera and let it dry before using some black lines to add some depth and really make it pop!
I love this project and can’t wait to try it with my 6th graders!
UPDATE! We completed this assignment and the results are awesome! Check ’em out:
So proud of these!!